Two major milestones in the run up to the London 2012 Olympics are reached today: the arrival of the Olympic torch flame in the UK and – far more importantly – a full month of data from our tracking study analysing the social media performance of the main games sponsors.
To mark this momentous occasion, we wanted to give you something different to play with. So here’s an interactive chart plotting two key elements of our PRINT™ methodology – potential (an indicator of social media engagement) and status (an indicator of social media reach) – over the last month.
If you’ve been following our weekly league table updates, you’ll have seen that many sponsors are yet to activate their investment through social media, with just a few notable names (ArcelorMittal, BMW, BP, British Airways, Cadbury’s, Cisco, P&G and Omega) jockeying for the leadership positions. What the animation shows very clearly is the cluster of brands in the bottom left quadrant of the chart seemingly ignoring the opportunity to exploit their sponsorship through social media.
If you’ve never used one of these charts before, here are some tips:
- Press the big play button at the bottom left to see how the data changes over time
- Move your mouse over a bubble to see which sponsor it represents
- Click on a bubble to track its movement over the whole month
- Use the legend on the right to select multiple sponsors to track
- Use the chart icons at the top right of the chart to switch to bar and line graphs
- We’re using a logarithmic scale for ease of display, but you can switch either axis to a linear scale if you wish
- The bubble size represents each sponsor’s PRINT Index™
Enjoy! There’s also a bigger version to play with here.